History & Facts
FOUNDED IN 1958, we were a single-story, 28-bed facility set within an
orange grove on the banks of the Indian River. The land we stood upon
was graciously donated by the prominent Parrish family. That same year,
the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) began operations
at Cape Canaveral.
The rapid population growth in the 50s and 60s created increased demands
for health care services. In 1964 we broke ground on our first major expansion
with a seven-story, 96-bed patient tower. The patient tower was completed
in 1966. By 1981 we needed to expand again increasing the total number
of licensed beds to 210. In 1991 the emergency department was expanded.
As the community continued to grow and change, so did the medical center.
It was clear by the late 90s that the existing facility could not continue
to meet the community’s needs. That marked the beginning of our
journey to become One of America’s Finest Healing Environments®.
In 2002, PMC introduced the first healing hospital of its kind to the
Founded in 1958, North Brevard Hospital was a single-story, 28-bed facility
set within an orange grove on the banks of the Indian River. That same
year, the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) began operations
at Cape Canaveral.
Parrish Medical Center is named after the Parrish family of North Brevard
who first donated land for a community hospital in the 1930s and made
another major land gift in 1963. Parrish family members continue to remain
involved with support for the hospital's mission.
In response to the unprecedented growth, the hospital initiated its plans
for a major multistory expansion in 1961, starting with changing its name
from North Brevard Hospital to Jess Parrish Memorial Hospital, in honor
of the Parrish family who made a major land donation. Also after 1961,
the NASA program grew in importance when President John F. Kennedy announced
plans to place a man on the moon before the end of the decade. In 1963,
the federal government acquired land on Merritt Island, where they developed
the 52-story Vertical Assembly Building and the launch complex.
The hospital broke ground on its first major expansion, to include a seven-story,
96-bed patient tower. The seven-story patient tower was completed in 1966.
By 1981 the hospital needed to expand again, increasing the total number
of licensed beds to 210. In 1990, the hospital changed its name from Jess
Parrish Memorial Hospital to Parrish Medical Center. As the community
continued to grow and change, so did the medical center.
The medical center expanded its emergency department, and by the late 90s
it was evident the existing facility could not continue to meet the community's
needs. Planning began for a replacement hospital. Construction on the
$80 million, 371,000 square-foot replacement hospital began in 2000.
Just two years later, in 2002, Parrish Medical Center opened one of the
nation's first evidence-based healing hospitals. Today, hospital executives
from around the world visit Parrish Medical Center to learn how to create
healing hospitals in their communities.
Parrish Medical Center turned 50 in 2008, and shows no signs of slowing
down. Vibrant with vision, the medical center continues to leave its mark
on the healthcare industry as a whole.