As a kid, you probably pushed around the vegetables on your dinner plate to make it look like you were eating them. But, there was a reason why mom pleaded with you to eat your veggies — they keep you healthy! As adults, we are probably more open to including vegetables into our diet. Add these natural snacks to your meals to receive a host of health benefits!
Improve Heart Health
Keep your ticker in tip-top shape by taking the following vegetables to heart!
- Asparagus and bell peppers both contain properties such as Vitamin B6 and folate which can lower homocysteine, an amino acid linked to heart disease.
- Carrots and tomatoes are filled with carotenoids, which are antioxidants that help ward off free radicals associated with heart disease.
- Onions contain phytochemicals that can reduce cholesterol levels, thus aids in heart disease prevention.
- Potatoes are high in potassium which can help to regulate blood pressure. High blood pressure is associated with the risk of congestive heart failure and stroke.
Keeping Healthy Bones
We all know that milk and cheese provide needed calcium for better bone health. However, adding more of these calcium-fortified vegetables to your diet can be a healthier alternative without the fat:
- Collard greens
- Swiss Chard
- Broccoli raab
- Sweet potatoes
- Brussel sprouts
- Green beans
Lower Your Risk of Cancer
Improving your diet is not only is good for heart and bone health but eating right, along with proper exercise, can lower your risk of cancer. The following vegetables contain specific properties such as carotenoids and fiber that can help decrease cancer growth:
- Brussel sprouts
- Leafy greens (such as spinach and kale)
- Bell peppers
Incorporating more vegetables into your diet, along with regular exercise, can give you a lifetime of health benefits. For more information about nutrition and exercise, contact Parrish Healthcare at 321-268-6111 today. We offer a variety of services to meet all your health and wellness needs!